Gallia uses Hydride Vapour Phase Epitaxy (HVPE) to epitaxially grow the thin nucleation layer, buffer layer and the GaN layer on Si for use as templates for the LED industry and additional layers as substrates for the power semiconductor industry. 200mm commercial samples of GaN on Si will be available in 2018.
Advantages of using HVPE
- Very high growth rates for GaN of up to 90μm/hr with controllable lower growth rates.
- No Carbon contamination due to absence of Hydrocarbons and gaseous HCL provides impurity self-cleaning effect.
- Low background material contamination and more efficient doping.
- Lowest precursor and chemical cost
- Highest wafer throughput
- Lowest Cost of Ownership (CoO)